We are a Jesus-centred church family, in Chartwell, Johannesburg. We are bible-based, inter-denominational, and multi-racial.
We embrace the person of the Holy Spirit, and depend on His anointing for life and ministry. We strive to maintain a highly participatory church environment.
More than 25 years ago, the well-established and large inter-denominational Rosebank Union Church identified the need for the extension of God’s Kingdom into the far northern suburbs of Johannesburg. The Village Church in Lonehill was birthed as a result of that vision, and was shortly thereafter released to seek its own identity and direction.
Over the years, and as a result of their core church-planting philosophy, the Village Church Lonehill planted several other churches.
In February 2010, Lonehill Village Church felt led to plant a church in Chartwell. We are now an interdependent autonomous Chartwell Village Church with strong relationship ties to Lonehill Village Church.
What we believe
We believe the following 12 doctrines to be the non-negotiables of the Christian faith:
- The Trinity – We believe in one God, eternally existing in three persons – Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- The Father – We believe that God the Father is a spiritual being, omnipotent, omniscient, holy, righteous, loving and infinitely good; having life in Himself and giving life to all things.
- The Son – We believe that Jesus Christ is true God and true man, the only begotten son of the Father.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the Lord Jesus, in His ascension into Heaven, in His present life as our High Priest and Advocate and in His personal and imminent return.
- The Holy Spirit – We believe in the supernatural manifestation of the Holy Spirit in and through the life of the believer; in His empowering and equipping for service and ministry and in His definite, yet progressive work of sanctification, commencing at the time of the new birth and continuing until the consummation of Salvation.
- Sin and Salvation – We believe that God created man in His own Image; that man sinned and thereby incurred the penalty of death, physical and spiritual; that all human beings inherit a sinful nature which issues (in the case of those who reach moral responsibility) in actual transgression involving personal guilt.
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins as a substitutionary sacrifice and that all who believe and trust in Him are justified on the ground of His shed blood.
- We believe that all who repent of their sin, receive Jesus Christ by faith as Saviour and confess Him as Lord are born again of the Holy Spirit and thereby become children of God.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the just and the unjust, in the eternal blessedness of the children of God, and in the eternal banishment of all others.
- Scripture – We believe in the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments in their original writing as fully inspired of God and accept them as the supreme and final authority for faith and life.
- The Church – We believe that the one true church is the whole company of those who have been redeemed by Jesus Christ and regenerated by the Holy Spirit; that the new birth and personal confession of Christ are therefore essentials of church membership and that the church on earth is the organism through which God says and does what He desires for His world.
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ appointed two ordinances – Baptism and the Lord’s Supper – to be observed as acts of obedience and as perpetual witnesses to the cardinal facts of the Christian faith.
To be a Holy Spirit anointed church family in relationship with God and each other, passionately reaching out into the community, nation and world.
To make and equip disciples of the Lord Jesus.
Our mission statement is captured by the acronym ROADS. We believe that for our church to be healthy, these five elements of church life (Relationships, Outreach, Anointing, Doctrine & Structure) need to be abundantly present, and held in dynamic balance with one another.
- Relationship – To be a church family characterised by love and acceptance, where the members are in loving relationship with God and each other within an environment of order, participation and accountability.
- Outreach – To be a people who reach out to others, both corporately and individually outside of the congregational setting, to bring them into relationship with Jesus Christ, to teach them the basic principles of the Kingdom of God, and to then release them to go and do likewise for others.
- Anointing – To be Christians who embrace the person of the Holy Spirit and depend on his anointing for life and ministry.
- Doctrine – To be a church that teaches sound, biblical, life giving doctrine based on the scriptural revelation of what Jesus said and did.
- Structure – To be a church that extends the Kingdom of God by establishing interdependent autonomous local churches founded on the principles presented in the book of Acts and as embodied in this mission statement.
(Courtesy: Lonehill Village Church)
In the words of the apostle Paul,
These are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31).
- Jesus has given us life, and life in abundance.
- His grace astounds us, His power amazes us and His persistent love overwhelms us.
- He is the focus of our preaching, and our interpretive key to unlocking the meaning of scripture.
- He is our plum-line, our yardstick, and our corner-stone.
- His life prescribes our lives and His words guide and instruct all of what we do and who we aspire to be.
- Jesus is the foundation and head of our church family.
- He is our reason for being.
- Without Him, we cease to exist as a church.